‼️ PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PERIOD FOR SUBMITTING A CANDIDATE NOMINATION IS NOW CLOSED
Conditions of eligibility
For the 2021 election, you may be eligible to run for a town council seat if you have the right to be registered on the municipality’s electoral list and meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age as of November 7, 2021;
- Be a Canadian citizen as of September 1, 2021;
- Not be under trusteeship as of September 1, 2021;
- Not have been found guilty of an offence revoking the right to vote since August 31, 2016;
- Not be in a situation of ineligibility due to employment (member of electoral staff, municipal employee) or in violation of the law of Quebec or Canada;
- a) Be a resident of the municipality as of September 1, 2021, and resident of Quebec for at least 6 months prior to this date OR be the owner of a building or occupant of a business establishment within the municipality for at least 1 year as of September 1, 2021 (ex. : owner of a summer home);
- Reside in the municipality, continuously or not, for at least 1 year as of September 1, 2021.
You are responsible to ensure that all criteria and conditions of eligibility are met before submitting your candidacy for the town council in the municipality.
Articles 61 to 67 and articles 300 to 307 of the Loi sur les élections et les référendums dans les municipalités treat ineligibility and disqualification criteria. Article 632 of this law mentions that anyone who knowingly submits his/her candidacy ineligibly has commited an violation.
For example, the following individuals are ineligible to hold a seat as a member of the town council:
- Certain elected officials
- Ministers within the government of Quebec or Canada;
- Anyone currently holding a seat as town council member in another local municipality.
- Certain professional roles:
- public servants and employees of the municipality;
- public servants and employees of town agencies (ex: municipal housing office – MHO);
- public servants within the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Habitation who are not employees under the Code du travail;
- Members and public servants of the Commission municipale du Québec (CMQ) who are not employees under the Code du travail.
- Certaines personnes impliquées dans l’élection générale du 7 novembre 2021 :
- les candidates et candidats aux élections municipales d’une autre municipalité locale;
- le personnel électoral de la municipalité;
- l’agente ou l’agent officiel d’un parti politique autorisé, sa représentante ou son représentant officiel et leurs adjointes ou adjoints;
- l’agente ou l’agent officiel et la représentante ou le représentant officiel d’une candidate ou d’un candidat indépendant pour l’élection générale de 2021 sauf s’il s’agit de la candidate elle-même ou du candidat lui-même.
- Certain people holding specific administrative and legal functions:
- judges in courts of law;
- Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions and prosecutors;
- the general manager of Quebec Elections and other members of the Commission de la représentation électorale.
As a general rule, all persons having committed a violation of the Loi sur les élections et les référendums dans les municipalités leading to disqualification (art. 301 to 307, LERM), may not hold a seat on the municipal council.
Additional information is available from your municipality’s president of elections.